With an increase in stress and anxiety people are increasingly seeking alternative methods to achieve holistic well-being. One such practice that has gained popularity is Reiki, a healing technique that focuses on channelling positive energy to promote physical, mental, and emotional balance. We will explore the intricacies of Reiki, what happens during a Reiki session, the benefits it offers, what you may experience, and the importance of integration and self-care after a Reiki session.
What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese healing technique that originated in the late 19th century. The word “Reiki” is derived from two Japanese words: “Rei,” meaning universal or higher power, and “Ki,” meaning life force energy. It involves the transfer of this life force energy through the practitioner’s hands to the recipient. Reiki is based on the belief that when the life force energy is low, stress, illness, and emotional imbalances occur, and when it is high, individuals are more likely to experience a sense of well-being and harmony.
This ancient form of hands-on healing that is very gentle and relaxing. Reiki is the universal life force energy and the healing energy can be sent to anyone (should they choose and allow it) at any time or from a distance. Reiki being universal life force energy is energy that transcends time and space.
What Happens During a Reiki Session?
During a Reiki session, the recipient typically lies down fully clothed on a healing table or sits comfortably in a chair. The Reiki practitioner gently places their hands on or near specific areas of the recipient’s body, starting from the head and moving down to the feet.
The practitioner acts as a conduit or channel for the universal life force energy, allowing it to flow through their body, hands and into the recipient’s body. The energy is intelligent and knows where it is needed most, so it will naturally balance and harmonise the recipient’s energy centres, or chakras.
The practitioner will intuitively move to different energy centres located on the body. They may have soft music playing, place a light blanket and eye pillow on you to help you relax to receive the healing. it is the practitioners job to make you feel safe, comfortable and not judged.
The practitioner on your first appointment should discuss your physical, mental and emotional state in the present as well as significant traumas and events of the past. They have a responsibility to understand you and your intention and needs before commencing the healing.
While you are on the healing bed there is usually little to no interaction or speaking. The practitioner may play a meditation or do one to help you drop into your heart.
What are the Benefits of Reiki?
Reiki offers numerous benefits for physical, mental, emotional and spiritualcwell-being. Some of the key benefits include:
1. Stress Relief: Reiki promotes relaxation, reduces stress, and helps release tension from the body and mind.
2. Pain Management: Reiki has been found to alleviate pain and discomfort, making it a complementary therapy for various conditions.
3. Emotional Healing: Reiki can support emotional healing by promoting a sense of calmness, enhancing self-awareness, and releasing emotional blockages.
4. Enhanced Energy and Vitality: Reiki revitalises the body’s energy centers, enhancing vitality and promoting overall wellness.
5. Improved Sleep: Reiki can help individuals achieve better sleep quality and alleviate insomnia.
6. Accelerated Healing: Reiki supports the body’s natural healing processes and complements other medical treatments.
What May You Experience During a Reiki Session?
During a Reiki session, individuals may have different experiences. Some common sensations reported include warmth, tingling, gentle pulsations, a sense of deep relaxation, emotional release or even fall asleep. It is great when a recipient falls asleep as the greatest healing occurs during sleep when the mind chatter is turned off. It also means the recipient feels safe and comfortable in the practitioners space.
Some recipients may also experience a heightened sense of awareness, have visions, remembrance of the past or a feeling of being energetically balanced.
It’s important to note that experiences can vary, and each person’s journey with Reiki is unique. Furthermore Reiki being the universal life force that is made of unconditional love, will never do anything negative or bad to you. It will always help you heal for your highest best as you are ready and open at that time. No bad energies can be received or passed during a Reiki session.
Speak to your practitioner about any concerns about your experience so they can support you.
Other ways Reiki is used with modern medicine include:
- Hospice and Palliative Care: Reiki is often used in end-of-life care to provide comfort, pain relief, and emotional support to patients and their loved ones.
- Hospital Surgeries and Stay; Reiki practitioners at many hospitals around the world are supporting patients pre and post surgeries or during their stay to improve their overall well-being and help expediate their healing.
- Cancer Treatment: Reiki is used in cancer centre’s to support patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy. It can help manage treatment side effects, reduce anxiety, and improve overall well-being.
- Mental Health: Reiki is utilized in mental health settings to support individuals with conditions such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. It can aid in emotional healing and promote a sense of calm and balance.
- Wellness and Preventive Care: Many individuals receive Reiki treatments as part of their wellness routine to maintain balance, prevent illness, and promote overall health and well-being.
Reiki is a complementary therapy and should not replace professional medical advice or treatment. It is recommended to consult with a qualified healthcare professional before incorporating Reiki or any other alternative therapy into your healthcare regimen.
What to Do After a Reiki Session?
Self-care and self love are important. Be present within yourself paying attention to subtle shifts that may occur. Your inner compass will help you to make the changes you need to come into balance and alignment.
Suggestions on what to do for self-care after a Reiki session:
- Be Kind and gentle with yourself: Take it Easy. Give yourself permission to take it easy and honour your body’s needs. Rest and relax as much as possible after your session. Avoid engaging in strenuous activities or overly demanding tasks that may deplete your energy.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water to help facilitate the cleansing and detoxification process that may have been initiated during the Reiki session. Hydration supports the body in releasing any toxins and promotes overall well-being.
- Practice Mindfulness and Reflection: Set aside some time for quiet reflection and introspection. Pay attention to any thoughts, emotions, or sensations that arise during this time. Journaling can be a helpful tool to record your insights and experiences.
- Engage in Self-Care Activities: Engage in activities that promote self-care and nurture your well-being. This can include taking a warm bath with Epsom salts, practicing gentle stretching or yoga, meditating, listening to soothing music, or spending time in nature.
- Connect with Nature: Spending time in nature can be incredibly grounding and rejuvenating. Take a walk in a park, sit by a lake or beach, or simply spend time in your garden. Allow yourself to connect with the natural world and absorb its healing energy.
- Practice Gratitude: Cultivate an attitude of gratitude for the experience and the healing energy received during the Reiki session. Express gratitude for your body, mind, and spirit and the opportunity for growth and well-being.
- Honour Your Emotions: It is common to experience emotional releases during or after a Reiki session. Allow yourself to acknowledge and honour any emotions that arise. Give yourself permission to feel and process them in a healthy and supportive manner.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: Support the healing process by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. This includes eating nutritious foods, getting regular exercise, and prioritizing sufficient sleep. Nourishing your body and mind with healthy habits will enhance the benefits of Reiki.
- Follow-Up Sessions: Consider scheduling regular follow-up Reiki sessions to continue the healing process and maintain balance in your energy system. Reiki can be a cumulative practice, and regular sessions can support long-term well-being.
Remember, self-care is an ongoing practice that extends beyond the immediate post-session period. Listen to your body, honour your needs, and integrate the healing energy of Reiki into your daily life to cultivate a sense of balance, harmony, and well-being.
After any energetic healing you will go through a period of integration and adjustment. During this integration you will process shifts or changes that have been activated within you. It is not uncommon to experience physical, emotional or mental changes. The healing is very protective and will always work for your highest good and exactly as you need at the time.
Sending you Reiki healing and love ❤